Thinking about building your own website?
It is possible, although it requires an investment of your time, a bit of patience, the ability to explore and learn new things on the Internet and some dedication to seeing it through.
If this is not for you, have your assistant, partner or co-worker review this guide to building your website.
If you are looking to save on website development costs and not being dependant on someone else’s time, them hopefully this simple guide is for you.
Our goals is to show you the website tools, options and mehtods for building your own website.
Consider this the ‘Do it yourself (DIY) guide to building your website’ that will evolve over time.
This simple guide is written for those intending to build and manage their own website.
You will hear many established platforms for building your own website, such as WordPress, SquareSpace, Shopfy, Wix and such. All these platforms have great tools for managing your web pages. Depending on what it is you are trying to achieve, some are better than others, based on your goals and objectives.
What you will need
Be prepared to sign up for a variety of online services to craft your own website.
The basics include:
- Dedicated email account account. This could be a new email with gmail or Outlook.
- Free software tools that you can use on your PC or Mac
- Domain name registrar – a place to register your domain name for your business, company or online venture.
- Website hosting – a place to serve out your website files.
Why build your own website?
What are the benefits of building and managing your own website?
If you’re the type of person that likes learning new things, then this guide is for you.
Become independant from website developers or designers who have their own preferred methods for building websites. Time is money, so using a website design agency or website designer will cost you.
Stay in control of your own website, the content and the updates to the website.
With website building tools like WordPress, static websites (HTML), CSS and more, technology changes, so there is on-going learning involved. If this is your area of interest, ’learning how to build your own website’, the your should be fine.
What is the cost?
How much will building my own website cost or how much does building my own website cost?
If you are wanting to put your website on the Internet for all to see, then you will need at minimum the following:
- Domain Name (Under $20/year) – this is your .com internet address. There are multiple variants of a domain name that you can choose (i.e., .com, .org, .biz, .ca or other). When people type in your domain name, once set up, they will go to your website.
- Website hosting (Average: $5-20/month). This is where you will place your images, HTML files and any related webiste files on a web hosting service to serve out your website to people on the internet.
- Your time. We’re not sure what the price on that would be, but if you like learning new skills, then this is not an issue. Depending on the route you take, it could be a few hours to on-going work in building, crafting and updating your website.
This is our affiliate disclaimer. This section is very common when referring people to other online tools, service and such.
There will be a number of external links pointing to a number of services online for building your own website. A few of them will be affiliate links where we make a small referral for you signing up with the services. This, in our opinion, is common in ‘Internet-land’.
As we have used a number of these website services, we feel it is fine to recommend and refer to these services who provide great value in building and managing your own website.
What we’re telling you here is that we will make a bit of money referring your to website services that charge your money for using them.
Still have questions about building your own website or feel that we are missing information in this free guide to building your website?